Whether you're e-mailing family and friends, balancing your online checkbook, or listening to your digital music collection, the newly restyled HP Compaq Presario SR5310F desktop PC offers a versatile, strong base for your home computing needs as well as easy-to-use multimedia features. Focusing on affordability, this desktop provides room to grow with the ability to add up to 2 GB of RAM, available PCI and expansion slots, and access to a wide variety of peripherals via its six USB 2.0. It's also chock-full of security and productivity software to get you going as soon as the PC's unpacked from its box, including Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008 and Microsoft Works 9. You can also easily burn your home video productions to DVD for friends and family with the 16x dual-layer, multi-format LightScribe DVD/CD burner, which enables you to store up to 8.5 GB of data on a DL disc, and manage your family's photo library with HP Photosmart Essential software.
Other features include a 1.8 GHz Intel Pentium E2160 dual-core, 64-bit processor, 250 GB hard drive, 1 GB of installed RAM (2 GB maximum), Intel GMA 950 video card with 64 MB of dedicated video memory, and 6-channels of surround sound audio. It comes preinstalled with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, which includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center. In addition to easily playing your DVD movies and managing your digital audio library, you'll be able to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV). Vista also integrates new search tools throughout the operating system, includes new parental control features, and offers new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures.
Video & Audio
- Processor: The 1.80 GHz Intel Pentium E2160 dual-core processor delivers additional computing resources and help expand the PC’s capabilities by providing higher throughput and simultaneous computing. You'll be able to perform multiple tasks such as digital rendering and gaming all while running virus scan or other background tasks seamlessly. And its Intel 64 architecture is also ready for tomorrow's 64-bit applications, and offers enhanced performance through improved virtual memory. Each core shares 1 MB of L2 cache, and they have an 800 MHz front-side bus. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
- Hard Drive: The extra large 250 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (7200 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive has a 3Gb/s interface speed that enables up to 300MB/s data transfer rates (double the speed of the current SATA interface of 1.5Gb/s).
- Memory: The 1 GB of installed RAM (2 x 1024 MB, PC2-5300) is a good start, but you still have room to add more RAM to handle today's demanding multimedia and productivity suites. This desktop has a 2 GB maximum RAM capacity (2 x 1 GB). Also, to receive the benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 8x DVD-R DL Write Once, 8x DVD+R DL Write Once, 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD+RW, 16x DVD-R, 6x DVD-RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 40x CD-R, 32x CD-RW write speeds and 40x CD-ROM, and 16x DVD-ROM read speeds.
This LightScribe DVD±RW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art.
- Keyboard & Mouse: It comes with a Compaq keyboard and scroller mouse (both with PS/2 connections).
Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, which uses Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) and provides 64 MB of dedicated graphics memory. Windows Vista can also allocate up to 251 MB of total graphics memory from the system memory. It also has an integrated audio card that can produce high definition surround sound configurable to 6 speakers.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
For expansion, this desktop has two PCI slots (one available), one PCI Express x16 slot (available), one PCI Express x1 slot (available), two 5.25-inch external bays (one available), three 3.5-inch bays (two available). It comes with the following external connections:
- 6 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players (2 in front, 4 in rear)
- 2 PS/2 ports for connecting keyboards and mice
- 1 VGA monitor port
- 1 headphone (front)
- 1 microphone/line-in/line-out (rear)
- 10/100 Ethernet
- 56K modem (V.90)
Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008 (60 days of complimentary live update), HP PhotoSmart Essential, Muvee autoProducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Microsoft Works 9, Microsoft Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial)
Dimensions & Weight
It measures 6.7 x 14.9 x 16.8 inches (WxHxD) and weighs approximately 21 pounds.
What's in the Box
The HP Compaq Presario SR55310F desktop PC comes with a power cord, keyboard, and scroller mouse. It is backed by a one-year warranty for parts and labor from date of purchase, one-year technical phone service, and 90 days of software application support.
Note: Monitor not included.